Be it to keep yourself going between shower time and meal time after an intense run, or just to ease the sound of a rumbling stomach in the office, energy balls are an incredibly versatile and tasty way to keep you going when cooking time isn’t such an option. 🙂
Make up your batch on the weekend and store them in an airtight container until you need to pick at them – all you’ll need are some pitted dates, a high powered blender and whatever core ingredients take your fancy! I’m quite the fan of adding natural lime juice to my energy balls – not just for its many health benefits, but for the touch of natural sweetness other than honey or agave or things I can often have too much off! 😛
Here’s the most recent recipe I’ve thrown together, I hope you enjoy it. 😀
Note: I’ve rolled my energy balls in quinoa flakes which is essentially a form of quinoa used in avoidance of its normally long cooking time! This stuff is quite pricey and I use it sparingly, but it can always be substituted with crushed oats! 🙂
- Pitted dates, x20
- Quinoa flakes, ~ 2 tblspns
- Cinnamon, x1 tblspn
- Cocoa powder, x1 tblspn
- Chia seeds, x1 tblspn
- Lime, x1
- Almonds, 100g crushed
- Add dates, lime juice to a high powered blender and blitz into a paste.
- Add the crushed almonds, cinnamon, cocoa powder and chia seeds and blitz up some more. Make sure to scrape down the sides of your blender at intervals of blitzing.
- Roll the mixture into approx. 7 balls using your hands and roll onto a plate of quinoa/oat flakes. 🙂
- Send me a photo of your progress through Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and hashtag #EndorphinStew. 😉